From Wickipedia, A business architecture is a part of an enterprise architecture related to corporate business, and the documents and diagrams that describe that architectural structure of business. People who build business architecture are known as Business Architects. Business architecture bridges between the enterprise business model and enterprise strategy on one side and the business functionality of the enterprise on another side.
Below are ten additional insights about BA via LinkedIn Brainstorming:
- Business architecture seeks to represent the architecture of an organization in terms of performance, process, information and capability - either as it exists or as it is intended to be, thereby facilitating the planning and communicating of business change initiatives.
- Business Architecture is the requirement set for the Business; IT architecture may be one of those requirements. Other requirements might include Capabilities, Processes, changes in organizational structure, changes in value chains and systems.
- Business Architecture is a series of methods and industry standard practices to describe what you do, why, how, where and whom derives or contributes value of such interactions. It’s about 90% of Why & What, and 10% of How. This is captured at a high level in a current state ("as is"), an idealized future view ("to be") and a roadmap to take us there.
- Business Architecture input can be used into organizational structure, and scope of responsibilities in an alliance type venture; BA input can also be used into where to direct resources and attention to strengthen business capabilities;
- BA helps orchestrate the interrelationship between people and process, enterprise as a whole is more about people, process and technology. And EA = EBA + EITA, , BA may focus on strategy maps, organizational structure, business capability analysis, BA can also be taken as an effective communication tool with well-visualized deliverables.
- Business architecture need define the following components:
1) A framework for Business Architecture
2) A Method (Cookbook)
3) A set of deliverables
4) A Meta model
- BA's Purpose: As an effective communication & governance tool to blueprint future of business, BA is not just for knowledge collection, more about capturing business insight/foresight.
- BA's Main Components: Business Value System, Organizational Structure, Business Processes, Business Capability, Business Culture…..
- BA's Hierarchy: A significant component of EA, 95% of votes agree EA = EBA + EITA
- BA's Users/Customers: Besides enterprise architects and business analysts, management teams from top-down, use BA to help in decision making.
The Future of BA Brainstorm:
- Is there such thing as Agile BA or Social BA—the Blueprint for Social Enterprise or Agile Business.
- Should Business Culture be included into BA?
- How to make BA deliverable more visualized to delight users?